Friday, January 23, 2009

Oh.



Being a New Englander, the natural disasters I'm used to fearing are Hurricanes and Giant Fucking Snowstorms.

Usually, by the time a Hurricane (that's been kicking the Caribbean's ass for a week) gets to us in Li'l Rhody, it's more fun than anything else. Minor damage from wind happens, but we're used to it. No biggie.

Blizzards hit northern NE more than down in The Wee State. We make a mad dash to the grocer and stock up on bread and milk (and scratch tickets) and wait it out. Kids go sledding after they are forced to shovel and drink cocoa. Grownups find other ways to stay warm and entertained...

But now I'm in California - specifically, the San Francisco Bay Area. Quake Country. The earth shakes from two of the biggest tectonic plates dancing around with each other. Tsunamis rage outward from our gnarly epicenter to screw up someone else's day. Gross.

So during tonight's bout of insomnia, I found this government website that has me quaking in my knickers. There is a 62% chance that at least one earthquake of magnitude 6.7 or greater will happen in the Bay Area by 2032. Yikes!

Remember when I said I was going to stay in the Bay for a few years, but not forever? Yeah, I'd rather play in 2 feet of snow with my kids every year than clutch them under the kitchen table while everything falls apart around us. Don't worry. I'm coming home eventually.



Love,
'la

No comments: