Sunday, January 18, 2009

Step One: Listen to Blackalicious

Gotta snap into something good.

Gotta shake this funk that I've been dragging around with me.

I don't like it. I want to love my days and nights as much as possible.

My theme last year was "do what feels right," which proved to make 2008 one of the most fun years I've had. In 2009 I find myself making major life changes:
I quit smoking, I'm drinking less, I spend more time by myself and I'm single, I moved across the country to Oakland...

I am lonely. I am worried about a lot of things. I have a lot of stress - from the microcosm of family issues to the macrocosm of global financial crisis. Sometimes I get so worried I feel sick to my stomach.

How do we deal with stress in meaningful and effective ways?

Yoga and taking time to relax seem to help me. Mindfulness. Cleaning the house compulsively always helps me. Enjoying the little things (I like to stop and smell the flowers and smile at strangers).

So I am going to actively try and shake my funk. Sorry I've been so doggone down. It's part of life, and necessary and valid... But I've had enough.

Step One: Stop listening to Beck, and start listening to Blackalicious.

Step Two: Read Hope For the Flowers by Trina Paulus

Step Three: Take more naps. A rested Carla is a happy Carla.

love love love,
Carla

1 comment:

No time for text said...

Well, as far as the Economy is concerned; Don't sweat it.

I'll save you the chest pains of having to thumb through Karl Marx's epic "Das capital" to casually remind you that it, like most things, is an illusion.

This is just the tail end of the fearmongering and national brainwashing that the last years has brought us. Rest assured, everyone (except Republicans)will love their lives more in two years than they do now...

Might i recommend a creative outlet that yields a stipend? Music, painting, art, WRITING?

-Z-