Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Starbucks, GOOD, and Consumption...




Oh, hi there!

On Sunday afternoon I was walking around downtown San Francisco with two friends. One wanted Starbucks brand coffee (no other coffee would suffice), so we stopped in one of 6 Starbucks within a 5 block radius, and while he was up at the counter I stumbled upon a free publication called GOOD SHEET. It's a small folding leaflet that is created by the consumer zombie machines (I mean editors) at GOOD.

GOOD is a total facade for a group of greenwashed lying corporations that appease both the zombie consumer and the not-so-harsh critics for being edgy, trendy, hip, and eco-friendly (hey - it's published on 45% post-consumer recycled paper, and the offset their emissions!). It is self-described as "a collaboration of individuals, businesses, and nonprofits pushing the world forward. Since 2006 we've been making a magazine, videos, and events for people who give a damn."

The GOOD SHEET No. 011 (Nov 20-26, 2008) was a post-election look at the US holiday economy. It states:

"The winter holidays: a time to join with family and friends, give thanks, celebrate, and get out the plastic and cash. We are a nation of consumers and we consme the most in November and December - in those two months, the retail profits come rolling in."


It has a bunch of great receipt-inspired graphics that give facts about what consumers are consuming in the holiday season (131 million pounds of eggnog, 67 million turkeys...) and the amount of debt it causes the consumer (12.8 billion in new debt in 2007).

But it treats it as normal, and beyond that - as a great way to stimulate the economy in these uneasy times of recession.

How long can we continue to support this failing system of beg, borrow, and steal? I know I'm the paranoid idealist anarcho-feminist conspiracy theorist who is always struggling with living in a world full of contradictions... but I know I'm not alone in feeling like I want to watch it all crash and burn!

Maybe...
...I read too much.
...I'll build my off-the-grid hut in the woods, be a farmer, and make bicycles and babies.
...I should become a barista at Starbucks, or work at Whole Foods (ha!)
...You should help me light some fires to get this crash-and-burn started!

xoxo
'la

2 comments:

Unknown said...

After working for four consumer electronics companies over the past few years where I was up close and personal with the soon to be latest and greatest products, but shielded from the marketing BS associated with these gizmos I can say that about 70% of our will to purchase something comes not from the fact that we need what it is we’re buying, but from the neurotransmitter release we get after we purchase something we feel is special.

No one is ever as happy with anything they buy as the day they buy it. With electronics its especially harsh since after the honeymoon with your new toy ends, you try to reassure yourself that your purchase was worth it by checking the internet, catalogues and flyers and comparing it with similar stuff, until one day you see that your once prized possession has had its price cut in half, or there has been something new released that’s twice as good for the same cost. Then like a junkie, you try to make yourself feel better buy buying some other expensive toy of questionable use to you.

Three of the companies I worked for were developing HD hardware and software – I will only buy a HDTV and Blu Ray player if my current SDTV ever breaks. Right now I am working on validating high end graphics cards for high end gaming PCs. These machines are noisy, heavy, consume 3 times as much power as a normal PC and for all that don’t even offer the performance you’d expect from spending 3 grand on a computer. I would not even take one if it were given to me for free.

“But I know I'm not alone in feeling like I want to watch it all crash and burn!”

Personally, I will not be satisfied until the scumbags responsible for triggering this disaster are crucified Roman style along Wall Street - even though it will require so many rows they have to stack them one on top of the other. This will not only be justice served, but will bring confidence back to the markets since the traders who tended to risk other people’s money on stupid things will no longer exist. Also, the idiots who took out loans they couldn’t afford should be barred from incurring more than a certain percentage of debt compared to their income. If they try to spend more, instead of printing out the receipt, a message should be printed: “I’m sorry sir, but the machine says you are too stupid to spend money. Please put that back where you found it and have a nice day.”

Cheers,

Eddy

RedLightHive said...

eddy! I miss you! I looked at old armenia photos the other day - it was great...

...anyways

I agree with you on most fronts, dude. I was reading the other day that buying something that you think will make you happy will NOT actually make you happy. Yet another piece of support as I try to stay sober from shopping.

I must say, though, that I feel that we all have a role and responsibility, and the inevitable "crash and burn" cannot be blamed solely on wall street or people biting off more than they can chew... We haven't been paying the true cost for most of the goods we consume (gasoline as a main example), which is another factor in this crazy mess we're all in.

love you
miss you
let me know if you ever come to San Fran!

xoxo
Carla