Monday, May 26, 2008

The First Step is Admitting You Have a Problem...


I'm completely exhausted today.

Perhaps it's from working between 50-70 hours every week (except for my lovely vacations). But I think it's the lack of sleep I've currently come to accept as part of the serious condition I've diagnosed myself with: The FOMS

Fear
Of
Missing
Something

The FOMS started for me in the summer of 2000, when I worked as a counselor at an overnight summercamp. For 8 weeks of the year for three consecutive summers, I and a group of 50 other people my age lived in close quarters on a gorgeous property in northwestern RI. We were all between the ages of 16 and 22. After the campers were tucked into bed, those who didn't have "night duty" went out and caused mild mischief.

It's a church-camp, after all (disclaimer: it is not at all like this garbage).

Being a counselor is an exhausting job. The days were hot and long. Sometimes you just didn't feel like hanging out with kids and going to chapel, or eating the same old iceberg lettuce and chicken wings for dinner.

Those were the days that turned into the most memorable nights of my life. I should have gone right to bed. I should have slept and gained the much-needed rest for the upcoming day's work.

Nope.

The FOMS kick in around 10pm.

Dress in black as to not be seen. Raid the walk-in fridge for Sysco brand canned pineapple. Beat up an old appliance in the woods with a baseball bat. Send each other on scavenger hunts in the pitch dark. Skinny dipping. Pranks. Visit your lover. Light something on fire (there were contests based on pyromania). Write sweet notes for your coworker who didn't give in to the FOMS and is sleeping peacefully. Stargaze. Watch Orgazmo again and again.

Giving in to the FOMS proved to always be worth it in the past.

Now at age 23, with giant busy days filling my week, I find myself getting home from a 10 or 12 hour workday with a serious itching to go out and have big fun every night.
I barely use my Netflix account anymore (and my queue is kick-ass!). Should I give in to the FOMS or should I resist?

Hi. My name is Carla and I have the FOMS.

Am I alone on this?

xoxo
Restless With The FOMS Right Now

4 comments:

RedLightHive said...

P.S.

The pbf comic at the top of the post is for those Space Cadets of 2000

You know who you are.

xoxo

Unknown said...

Haha, yeah I was afflicted with FOMS in freshman year; it doesn’t mix well with a rigorous engineering program.

With you working as hard as you are, you’ve got to give into it now and then. If you’re worried about being tired for work I find that a half a can of Redbull (or offbrand equivalents) chased by a large cup of coffee (medium size in America) keeps me firing on all cylinders and the inevitable crash doesn’t happen until around bedtime, so hey, built in sleeping pill.

RedLightHive said...

well, I haven't done caffeine in about 4 years (besides the occasional brownie or cookie).

I sleep when I'm tired and get up when I'm rested.

xoxo

I miss you eddy!

Unknown said...

I HAVE THE FOMS!!!!!!!!!!! and i love the shout out to the space cadets. and, ecc's website looks good :)